Tuesday, August 3, 2010

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead


Miranda is a "typical" twelve year old girl in late 70's New York, well sort of. The typical part of it is that there is a boy that Miranda kind of likes, her best friend suddenly stops talking to her for no apparent reason, and she lives with her single mom. Not so typical, her mom's aspiration is to be a game show contestant, there is a homeless guy that lives on the corner of her block and of course the creepy notes that keep getting left for her. The notes claim to want to save her live and tell her she must write down everything that happens to her, but not tell anyone. I can see why the book one a Newberry. It's really good, and I liked all the references to A Wrinkle in Time. I also appreciated the innocence of it, and by innocence I mean no "gazing deeply into her eyes", or "trying to get one over on the cops cause I'm a thug". I mean just good reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment