Tuesday, August 3, 2010

North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley


Terra is a tall, thin, blonde beauty, that is until you see the port wine stain that covers her entire right cheek. And if that isn't enough she has the lamest boyfriend ever, he all but ignores her in public, but wants to be physical when the two of them alone. And still if that isn't bad enough her dad is a big jerk too. He never seems to find a polite or kind word to say to Terra or her mom, it's verbal attack after verbal attack. All Terra wants to do is go away to college where people will maybe know her for more than just her face, but her father puts a halt on that as well. Finally some good come to Terra when she meets Jacob. When Terra and Jacob and their moms take a trip to China, who would have thought it would be the trip that changes everything?
I loved the emotion North of Beautiful brought out in me. I found that I REALLY REALLY hated Erik, like everytime he opened his mouth I wanted to slap him. And then there was her father, I don't know if I was more irritated with him or the fact that her mother just "took it". I wanted to climb into the book and be Terra's friend and fix everything for her. I would for sure recommned this book, again to my 8th graders and high school kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment