Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson

14 year old Isabel is a slave during the Revolutionary War literally fighting for her freedom. She and her sister thought they were going to be freed when their master dies, only to actually end up becoming the property of one the meanest couples in New York. Isabel does everything she can so that she and her sister can become free, including putting her own lifein danger.
The study of slavery has always been my favorite time period to study in history, so I was excited to get to read Chains, and let me tell you it did not disappoint. With the main character being a young girl I didn't really expect there to be as much excitement and danger as there was. I fell in love with Isabel's strength and determination and sense of family. This is another great book by Laurie Halse Anderson and will one I pull off the shelves to recommend to students, boys and girls alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment