Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Bad News for Outlaws by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson

Deputy U.S. Marshal Bass Reeves was truly bad news for outlaws. Bass escaped from slavery to the Indian territory where he worked hard and was accepted by the natives. When Judge Isaac Parker came to the territory looking for marshalls to help with control crime Bass was quickly selected and continued to serve as a Deptury U.S. Marshal for the next thirty five years. Mr. Reeves apprehended more than three thousand men and women and only killed fourteen outlaws. In a time when black men were considered property, Bass Reeves was a respected and honored man. I really enjoyed reading this biography, it could have been really long and drawn out, but Nelson hit on the important parts and told an inspiring story. I felt myself drawn into the story and wishing I had actually known Bass Reeves. If you ask me, that's what a great book is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment