Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly


Books about family relationships always seem to get to me, and this one was no different. Calpurnia Tate is the only girl in a family of seven children. With a mother who desperately wants Callie Vee to be a proper young lady, but Calpurnia has other interests...science. Callie's granddaddy is a "naturalist" who keeps mostly to himself, until Calpurnia goes to him with questions about Darwin's book The Origin of Species. From that moment on they were two peas in a pod, each teaching the other a little something everyday. The relationship between the two so reminds me of me and my gradfather. Everyone thought he was a cranky old man, but to me he hung the moon. This book left me feeling a little undecided. As I read The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate I enjoyed it, but it wasn't a book that once I put it down I was eager to pick it back up again. To me it was a little bit slow, but again, while I was reading it I did enjoy it. I could imagine suggesting this book to a very select few students, kids who maybe don't read the trendy things. If I were giving books stars, I'd give Callie Vee 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment