Wednesday, July 28, 2010

14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra Deedy




If you have never been touched by a book before than I dare you to read 14 Cows for America and not be moved. When I started reading this book I had no idea what it was about. Based on the title I thought it was going to be about ranching or something, but I was completely blown away by Wilson Kimeli Naiyomah's story, which was told by Carmen Agra Deedy. Naiyomah lived in the United States during the horrible events of September 11. He was so moved by the devestation that he returned to his home in Kenya and tells his fellow villagers the story of our tragedy. Wilson's entire village is so moved they proceed to come together and offer the United States their most precious possessions. This story is one of human kindness that we all long for proof of. I know this story would have moved me, but I'm not sure if I would have been quite as moved if the illustrations would have been something different. The fluidity of each picture, made my heart full...full of gratitude. 14 Cows for America is a must read and all grade levels!

No comments:

Post a Comment